At NorthStar Memorial Group, we choose collaboration over bureaucracy. Here, everyone has a chance to lead. We encourage & empower our people at every level to speak up, be heard, and watch their ideas become realities. Degreed & non-degreed professionals, labor workers, industry experts – people from all career and experiential backgrounds have the opportunity to find a home here.
Sound too good to be true? Check us out on Glassdoor to see why our employees have voted NSMG one of the best companies to work for 7 years in a row!
We are seeking a Superintendent for Sunset Lawn Chapel of the Chimes Funeral Home in Sacramento, CA. This position will be responsible for managing and coordinating the day to day activities of the cemetery caretakers including cemetery operations, facilities, grounds, equipment maintenance and supply/inventory. The successful candidate will have strong work ethic and previous experience in a general labor or grounds keeping type position.
- Ensure memorialization sites are prepared for services as expected by each client family
- Maintain existing memorials and crypts
- Verify the location of all interments, entombments or inurnments are accurate
- Ensure that the grounds crew uniforms, personal appearance, actions and demeanor present an appropriate image to client families
- Maintain proper inventories of equipment, supplies and merchandise
- Ensure that all equipment is cleaned and properly maintained
- Ensure that all facilities are cleaned and that daily “policing” of the grounds occurs wherein random debris, trash, tree limbs or other unsightly or disrespectful items are removed and discarded appropriately
- Able to fill any role required in the grounds keeping/facilities maintenance function
- Ensure that all interment verification procedures (IVP) are taught, learned, inspected and adhered to
- Work with the general manager to ensure long-term health (appearance, safety, etc.) of the cemetery grounds, maintenance facilities and equipment.
- Consult with sales, administration and funeral operations teams to meet client family requests
- Ensure that all members of the caretaker team observe Federal (OSHA), state and local safety requirements for themselves and visitors to the cemetery
- Maintain a safe working environment by training the staff in proper techniques and use of safety equipment
- Ensure that all physical components of the memorialization process are in compliance with the cemetery’s current rules and regulations
- Apply proper precautions and safety measures while working
- Operate equipment in a safe and careful manner
- Ability to operate large mechanical equipment and machines
- Capable of moving and installing burial vaults
- Capable of understanding maps for grave locations and layouts
- Ability to lead other staff in the caretaking of the facility and grounds
- Work cooperatively with other individuals
- Ability to show respect and reverence toward client families